Rena’s Fudge Shops, Inc. dba Ryba’s Fudge Shops / Pancake House / Seabiscuit Café in Mackinac Island, MI, seeks two Fudge Makers for temporary, full-time employment (04/01/2022 – 11/05/2022). Duties: Follow recipes to produce fudge, candies and other confections of specified flavor, texture, clarity, bouquet, or color. Set up, operate, and tend equipment that cooks, mixes, blends, or processes ingredients in the manufacturing of food products, according to formulas or recipes. Mix or blend ingredients, according to recipes, using a paddle or an agitator, or by controlling vats that heat and mix ingredients. Clean and sterilize kettles and processing areas. Select and measure or weigh ingredients, using English or metric measures and balance scales. Turn valve controls to start equipment and to adjust operation to maintain product quality. Start, adjust, and regulate equipment. Observe thermometers to determine if temperature is within specified limits and turn valves to control the temperature. Observe and listen to equipment to detect possible malfunctions, such as leaks or plugging, and report malfunctions or undesirable tastes to supervisors. Fill processing or cooking containers, such as kettles, with ingredients. Modify cooking and forming operations based on the results of sampling processes, adjusting time cycles and ingredients to achieve desired qualities, such as firmness or texture. Examine, feel, and taste product samples during production to evaluate quality, color, texture, flavor. Determine mixing sequences, based on knowledge of temperature effects and of the solubility of specific ingredients. Inspect and store the final product. Formulate or modify recipes for specific kinds of confections. Place products on carts to transfer them to the next stage of processing.
May perform other job duties pursuant to 51-3092, Food Batchmakers.
35 hours/week, 0-8 OT hours/week (OT must be pre-approved); 8-hour shifts; 5 days/week, may work 6- 7 days/week during peak times (Sunday through Saturday, schedule varies and includes evenings and weekends; business is open 7 days/week); 8:00 am to 4:00 pm or 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm
No formal education, training or experience required. On-the-job training will be provided.
Workers will be paid no less than $14.25 per hour. Employer may pay higher wage rates to workers based on seniority with employer and level of skill. Overtime hours may vary and will be paid no less than $21.38 per hour.
The H-2B Temporary Restaurant Cooks will travel to and perform duties at the following locations owned by Rena’s Fudge Shops, Inc. dba Ryba’s Fudge Shops / Pancake House / Seabiscuit Cafe:
- 7245 Main Street, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
- 7463 Main Street, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
- 7340 Main Street, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
Employer assurances pursuant to 20 CFR 655.20:
- Single work week used in computing wages due.
- Wages paid bi-weekly.
- Work tools, supplies & equipment provided without cost to employee.
- Workers have the option of employer-provided housing for $95 per week, and if elected, employer will deduct costs from worker’s paycheck. Workers also have the option of securing their own lodging.
- Employer will make all deductions from the worker’s paycheck required by law and any non- legally required payroll deductions permitted under the law and requested by Employee.
- If worker is outside of the U.S., employer will arrange & pay directly for transportation & subsistence from place of recruitment to place of work. If worker is in the U.S., upon 50% completion of work contract, employer will reimburse the worker for transportation & subsistence from place of recruitment to place of work within five days of receiving the expense receipts. Employer will issue reimbursement within the first workweek when required to meet FLSA minimum wage obligations. Upon completion of the work contract or where the worker is dismissed earlier, if the worker has no immediately subsequent H-2B employment, the employer will provide or pay for worker’s reasonable costs of return transportation & subsistence back home or to the place the worker originally departed to work. The amount of transportation payment or reimbursement will be equal to the most economical & reasonable common carrier for the distances involved. Daily subsistence will be provided at a rate of at least $14.00 per day during travel to a maximum of $59.00 per day with receipts.
- Employer will reimburse worker in the first work week for all visa, visa processing, border crossing & related fees, incl. those mandated by the government (excluding passport fees).
- The employer guarantees to offer work for hours equal to at least three-fourths of the workdays in each 12-week period of the total employment period.This position is being posted in connection with a future application for H-2B workers.
Application Process: Contact the nearest office of Michigan Works (found at: https://www.michiganworks.org/michigan-works-network) or at 10 North State Street, St. Ignace, MI 49781, (906) 643-8158 for referral. Reference Job ID: 20621375 “H-2B Rena’s Fudge Shops, Inc. dba Ryba’s Fudge Shops / Pancake House / Seabiscuit Café Fudge Maker.” Or contact Rena’s Fudge Shops, Inc. dba Ryba’s Fudge Shops / Pancake House / Seabiscuit Café at email@example.com or https://www.theislandhouse.com/employment.