Array ( [networks] => Array (  => facebook  => twitter  => pinterest  => linkedin ) [has] => Array ( [facebook] => 1 [twitter] => 1 [instagram] => [pinterest] => 1 [houzz] => [linkedin] => 1 ) )
NOTICE OF JOB OPPORTUNITY
GROUNDSKEEPER MACKINAC ISLAND, MICHIGAN
Island House, Inc. dba Island House Hotel in Mackinac Island, Michigan, seeks three Groundskeepers for temporary, full-time employment (04/01/2023 – 11/05/2023). Duties: Maintain hotel property and grounds; cut lawns; clean grounds; remove litter. Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes. Operate powered equipment, such as mowers, snow blowers, chainsaws, electric clippers, sod cutters, or pruning saws. Water lawns, trees, or plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans. Prune or trim trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws. Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders. Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing thatch, or trimming or edging around flower beds, walks, or walls. Follow planned landscaping designs to determine where to lay sod, sow grass, or plant flowers or foliage. Trim or pick flowers and clean flower beds. Attach wires from planted trees to support stakes. Plant seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, ground covers, trees, or shrubs and apply mulch for protection, using gardening tools. Mow or edge lawns, using power mowers or edgers. Rake, mulch, and compost leaves. Decorate gardens with stones or plants. Use irrigation methods to adjust the amount of water consumption and to prevent waste. Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, or other grounds features. Shovel snow from walks, driveways, or parking lots and spread salt in those areas. Maintain irrigation systems, including winterizing the systems and starting them up in spring. Plan or cultivate lawns or gardens. Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools. Care for artificial turf fields, periodically removing the turf and replacing cushioning pads or vacuuming and disinfecting the turf after use to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Install rock gardens, ponds, decks, drainage systems, irrigation systems, retaining walls, fences, planters, or playground equipment. Care for natural turf fields, making sure the underlying soil has the required composition to allow proper drainage and to support the grasses used on the fields. Haul or spread topsoil or spread straw over seeded soil to hold soil in place.
General cleaning duties of buildings or properties including washing windows and lightbulb replacement and plunging toilets.
The Groundskeeper will not be building or constructing docks, walls, or fences. The Groundskeeper will be assisting Maintenance Leads or Carpenters in moving pre-made/pre-fabricated and decorative decks, walls, and fence on the grounds of the property. They will not be involved with building or construction of the decks, walls, or fences. They will not be using any equipment to move the decks, walls, or fences except their hands.
May perform other job duties pursuant to 37-3011, Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers.
8:00 am to 4:30 pm or 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm. 35 hours/week, 0-8 OT hours/week (OT must be pre- approved); 8-hour shifts; 8:00 am to 4:30 pm or 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm; 5 days/week, may work 6-7 days/week during peak times (Sunday through Saturday, schedule varies and includes evenings and weekends; business is open 7 days/week).
No formal education, training or experience required. On-the-job training will be provided.
$15.84/hr; O/T $23.76/hr; Workers will be paid no less than $15.84 per hour. Employer may pay higher wage rates to workers based on seniority ith employer and level of skill. Overtime hours may vary and
will be paid no less than $23.76 per hour.
The H-2B Temporary Groundskeepers will travel to and perform duties within 1.5-mile radius of 6966 Main Street, Mackinac Island, MI 49757. Please see additional requirements section for additional worksites.
Employer assurances pursuant to 20 CFR 655.20:
- Single work week used in computing wages due.
- Wages paid bi-weekly.
- Work tools, supplies & equipment provided without cost to employee.
- Workers have the option of employer-provided housing for $95 per week, and if elected, employer will deduct costs from worker’s paycheck. Workers also have the option of securing their own lodging.
- Employer will make all deductions from the worker’s paycheck required by law and any non- legally required payroll deductions permitted under the law and requested by Employee.
- If worker is outside of the U.S., employer will arrange & pay directly for transportation & subsistence from place of recruitment to place of work. If worker is in the U.S., upon 50% completion of work contract, employer will reimburse the worker for transportation & subsistence from place of recruitment to place of work within five days of receiving the expense receipts. Employer will issue reimbursement within the first workweek when required to meet FLSA minimum wage obligations. Upon completion of the work contract or where the worker is dismissed earlier, if the worker has no immediately subsequent H-2B employment, the employer will provide or pay for worker’s reasonable costs of return transportation & subsistence back home or to the place the worker originally departed to work. The amount of transportation payment or reimbursement will be equal to the most economical & reasonable common carrier for the distances involved. Daily subsistence will be provided at a rate of at least $15.46 per day during travel to a maximum of $59.00 per day with receipts.
- Employer will reimburse worker in the first work week for all visa, visa processing, border crossing & related fees, incl. those mandated by the government (excluding passport fees).
- The employer guarantees to offer work for hours equal to at least three-fourths of the workdays in each 12-week period of the total employment period.
This position is being posted in connection with a future application for H-2B workers. Application Process: Contact the nearest office of Michigan Works (found at:
https://www.michiganworks.org/michigan-works-network) or at 10 North State Street, St. Ignace, MI 49781, (906) 643-8158 for referral. Reference Job ID: 94254765 “H-2B Island House, Inc. dba Island
r.” Or contact Island House Hotel at firstname.lastname@example.org or landhouse.com/employment.