Island House Hotel in Mackinac Island, MI, seeks 4 Kitchen Helpers for temporary, full-time employment (04/01/2022 – 11/05/2022). Duties: prepare a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, or desserts; clean and maintain kitchen work areas; sweep floors; and wash dishes. Store food in designated containers and storage areas; portion and wrap the food, or place it directly on plates for service to patrons; take and record temperature of food and food storage areas; place food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or store them in refrigerated storage cabinets; stock cupboards and refrigerators, and tend salad bars and buffet meals; wash, peel, and cut various foods to prepare for cooking or serving; carry food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas; distribute food to waiters and waitresses to serve to customers; cut, slice or grind meat, poultry, and seafood to prepare for cooking; remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers; receive and store food supplies, equipment, and utensils; weigh or measure ingredients; inform supervisors when equipment is not working properly and when food and supplies are getting low; assist cooks and kitchen staff with various tasks as needed; add cutlery, napkins, food, and other items to trays on assembly lines; use manual or electric appliances; scrape leftovers from dishes into garbage containers; make soups, dressings and sauces; mix ingredients for salads; vacuum dining area and sweep and mop kitchen floor; butcher and clean fowl, fish, poultry, and shellfish to prepare for cooking or serving; wash dishes, glassware, flatware, pots, or pans, using dishwashers or by hand; maintain kitchen work areas, equipment, or utensils in clean and orderly condition; place clean dishes, utensils, or cooking equipment in storage areas.
May perform other job duties pursuant to 35-2021.00, Food Preparation Workers.
35 hours/week, 0-8 OT hours/week (OT must be pre-approved); 8-hour shifts; 5 days/week, may work 6- 7 days/week during peak times (Sunday through Saturday, schedule varies and includes evenings and weekends; business is open 7 days/week); 6:00 am to 2:00 pm or 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm
No formal education, training or experience required. On-the-job training will be provided.
$12.14/hr; O/T $18.21/hr; Workers will be paid no less than $12.14 per hour. Employer may pay higher wage rates to workers based on seniority with employer and level of skill. Overtime hours may vary and will be paid no less than $18.21 per hour.
Employer assurances pursuant to 20 CFR 655.20:
- Single work week used in computing wages due.
- Wages paid bi-weekly.
- Work tools, supplies & equipment provided without cost to employee.
- Workers have the option of employer-provided housing for $95 per week, and if elected, employer will deduct costs from worker’s paycheck. Workers also have the option of securing their own lodging.
- Employer will make all deductions from the worker’s paycheck required by law and any non-legally required payroll deductions permitted under the law and requested by Employee.
- If worker is outside of the U.S., employer will arrange & pay directly for transportation & subsistence from place of recruitment to place of work. If worker is in the U.S., upon 50% completion of work contract, employer will reimburse the worker for transportation & subsistence from place of recruitment to place of work within five days of receiving the expense receipts. Employer will issue reimbursement within the first workweek when required to meet FLSA minimum wage obligations. Upon completion of the work contract or where the worker is dismissed earlier, if the worker has no immediately subsequent H-2B employment, the employer will provide or pay for worker’s reasonable costs of return transportation & subsistence back home or to the place the worker originally departed to work. The amount of transportation payment or reimbursement will be equal to the most economical & reasonable common carrier for the distances involved. Daily subsistence will be provided at a rate of at least $13.17 per day during travel to a maximum of $55.00 per day with receipts.
- Employer will reimburse worker in the first work week for all visa, visa processing, border crossing & related fees, incl. those mandated by the government (excluding passport fees).
- The employer guarantees to offer work for hours equal to at least three-fourths of the workdays in each 12-week period of the total employment period.This position is being posted in connection with a future application for H-2B workers.
Application Process: Contact the nearest office of Michigan Works (found at: https://www.michiganworks.org/michigan-works-network) or at 10 North State Street, St. Ignace, MI 49781, (906) 643-8158 for referral. Reference Job ID: 16362408 “H-2B Island House, Inc. dba Island House Hotel Kitchen Helper.” Or contact Island House, Inc. dba Island House Hotel at firstname.lastname@example.org or https://www.theislandhouse.com/employment.
Education Level: None
Job Level: Entry Level
Minimum Pay: $12.14
Pay Type: Hourly
Foreign Labor Cert: H-2B
O*NET Online Occupations: 35-2021.00, Food Preparation Workers Job Characteristics: Full-Time Seasonal Willing to train Temporary